Skills training sessions are conducted in multiple locations across Canada. Each hands-on, interactive session is conducted by subject matter experts, and provides balanced viewpoints with legal expertise from both the union and management perspectives. These sessions focus on developing practical skills that will assist workplace parties in meeting their legal obligations.
Medical reports may contain information that is highly personal and sensitive in nature. As a result, a request for medical information from an employee in the workplace raises a host of privacy and human rights concerns. Nevertheless, employers and unions are often required to handle private employee health information in order to facilitate accommodation, sick leave and/or disability benefits. Hence, when dealing with medical health records, it is crucial for workplace parties to strike an appropriate balance between obtaining the requisite medical information and respecting employee privacy.
Working through interactive exercises and realistic scenarios with the guidance of experienced counsel and medical experts, participants will gain the skills and knowledge to:
- Craft effective requests for medical information that comply with human rights and privacy law
- Understand health records and respond appropriately to vague or deficient medical reports
- Identify when medical information from a specialist, psychologist or psychiatrist is required for the purposes of sick leave, accommodation or disability benefits
- Comply with federal and provincial privacy legislation and protect confidential medical information in the workplace
- Avoid wasted time litigating over the collection, storage and disclosure of medical information
- Use medical evidence effectively in the grievance and arbitration process
EARLY BIRD RATE
Register and pay by Friday, April 7, 2017, to save $100 off each regular skills training session price!
The Westin Edmonton
Thursday, May 4, 2017, 8:45 am - 4:30 pm
Wednesday, May 10, 2017, 8:45 am - 4:30 pm
Vancouver, British Columbia
Hyatt Regency Vancouver
Tuesday, June 13, 2017, 8:45 am - 4:30 pm
St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador
Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland
Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 8:45 am - 4:30 pm
The Westin Harbour Castle
Tuesday, June 20, 2017, 8:45 am - 4:30 pm